Monday, October 01, 2007

I love it when plan comes together...



Well, while it was fun playing with Full Circle all this time, I do admit that it was not my ideal genre or music, and/or format…. My dream has been for some now to build a band from scratch, but with a twist…

Most bar bands get formed with the sole intent to play bars, get gigs, get paid… so you can make your hobby a business.. and get some reward from it.. and theres nothing wrong with it… but its not my thing… more importantly, if I have to Play Brown eyed Girl, Bob Segar’s Old Time Rock and Roll, or Lynrd Skynrds Sweet home Alabama one more time, I’ll hurl……. Arggg…
Also.. I dont like late nites in bars.. not the hours, nor the drunk people.. i'd rather play a matenee, or house party and be home by midnight or 1am...

So what is my dream? Will it aint easy.. but its elaborate, and has come to me in phases..
Phase 1… Just play the music you love… and none that you dont...

I do like Van Morrison, Segar and Skynrd just fine, but I’d rather play “Into the mystic”, “Against the Wind” and “I know a little” other tunes I’d love to play include..



And so on…

Part 2 would be delivery…. how its built...
Have you ever seen the eagles, in concert? I mean you have Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmidt, Don Henley, Glenn Fry.. and previously, Don Feldar… all solo capable players/singers.. but each simply play a “small part” you know. Theres joe… in the middle of song.. doing nothing.. until… wait for it, here it comes… there.. 4 notes.. then lay back again.. No egos, no hogs. Just contributors.. Also..the multi Singer approach… Blue Rodeo has two.. eagles have 4! Joe, Don, Glen and Timmothy… and while the other is in front, the remainder fall back to harmony support…. Brilliant I think…. breaks up the flow.. adds variety and diversity to your sound...

Its not a Hey look at me show, its hey.. look at us.. what we can build.. No showboating, no over playing.. just many little pieces to make one large Whole…

So I imagine a large number of members, switching instruments, etc…. and if the song has no keys.. and someone else is playing bass, and it doesn't need an acoustic guitar.. then I'll stand and sing harmonies, shake a tamborine and still enjoy it...

are there Problems with this concept? Sure there are... …
(1) its Difficult to find more then 3 or 4 people that will share the vision and/or (2) be ok with the fact that this will NOT be a money making band… at least at first.. also.. (3) this is not music that lends itself to the dance bars…. So that will be a challenge also.. and (4) oddly, not a lot of Lead singers are comfortable sharing the spotlight.. at least thats what I've found.. they want the spotlight on them, almost at the exlusion of others, and they dont want to share... But I stand by my goal... I think it woudl work far better then any one singer could take it, and I also think that it takes more Confidence, and comfort with yourself as an artist to step back at let someone else shine..... so maybe its just a "maturity" one must have or aquire over time to be able to step back and be a part of something, as opposed to the absolute "centre of attention".. in any event.... I'm sure we'll find enough likeminded folks to round out the line up soon enough... and that’s ok with me….

I want this to be about playing music I love, and playing it well, and having fun… And in as much as it might be hard to get paying gigs at first.. I think after the word got out.. this would be one hell of band that could be worthy of the Rebecca Cohn…

Anyway… I've said all this before, why am I so excited abtou it again? Not long after my exiting Full Circle, did I meet a like minded Drummer.. so Now we have…

Me Keys and Bass, and some acoustic/rythem guitar. And basic Drum abilities
Wayne Vocals, lead and or rythem Guitar, Bass and some drums
Steve Furey Monster Steve Vai style Guitar
Pete Jeffereys Drummer and some other instruments

What we need next is another singer, preferable with a good lower register, that can go raspy like Steve Tyler or Joe Cocker, and who can play bass and/or guitar (preferably a bluesy slow hand style) and/or keys and/or sax/horn and maybe even another singer and/or female singer… to round things out…..

as for a name....
I’d like to call it “Bongwater” or “the Bongwater Project” as that was what that name was intended for in the firstplace…. And it looks like in November we will begin rehersing, to try and get it up and running… Should be fun… may never go anywhere. but at least were in motion again...

Whew!

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a guy gotta do to get a friggin try-out?hahahah...Seriously Rob..This is a great concept...I would be very interested in something like this.
Lets talk.
Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home