Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ideas in motion

Well, its been coming a while, But I hope to have my "official" website up and running relatively soon and have done a few other things to give 'Bongwater Music Productions" more credibility...

Some might argue that the name itself might make that a challenge, but (a) its just a name and (b) its really not about what one might think....

How it actually came about was this....
we were sitting around one nite, me and a couple musicians, talking to a couple of "non-musicians" about the what some would describe as an "addiction" that we collectively share as musicians to all things music.. I mean its pretty serious.. and as we struggled with a word that could capture the feeling, that life long persuit for more things music.... the best analogy we could draw, at least that day, was to agree, that yeah... it is an addiction, and music is our drug...

But unlike a real drug or alcohol, Music is 100% healthy, organic, whatever ya want to call it, and all the side effects are postive....

Musician or not, think about how much music plays a part in an average persons life...
Do you listen to music...
-While you Drive
-While you house clean
-While you Walk and/or jog and/or Bike and/or run
-At Work
-At Home
or do you ever use music as
-Background for a nice dinner
-Mood Music for that special date
-Relaxing music for a hot bath
-Atmosphere for your place of business (i.e. a lot of clothing stores pump in tunes)
-Heck, even the movie soundtrack.. the whole art if blending music to video can help emphasis the directors message...

and I could go on and on.. My point, is that music affects us all... And For us Musicians, regardless of stature and/or talent and/or a lack there-of, it goes that step further...

For instance, given a choice between a new car, or a PA system, or a New Window for the house or a New Guitar, no big surprise what I'd chose... Speaking for myself, I love to listen, play, learn, talk about music and it never gets old...

So, round about the time of that conversation, we'd also recently watched the Movie "Almost Famous" again, and the band in that Movie was 'Stillwater" Anyway, we were talking how it was a great movie, and a Great band name, even if they are fictional... So, Borrowing somewhat from that band's name, and leaning on the "music is like a drug" theme, we then talked about cool band nameshad an idea that Bongwater might make a good one...

and then came the mission statement...

"what if we built a band that had no designs on commercial success, no stress about getting gigs, but just played all that really great music we've always wanted to play, but never could cause it was either too long, too hard, or to difficult to dance to"

we then went a step further to aggree to a list of "banned" tunes (i.e. Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Old time Rock and Roll) that we'd never play.. not that they're not good tunes, but as musicians, I'll be you've all played those and a few others so much that they are now like fingernails on the chaulkboard...

it would A Band for us musicians.. and to hell if we never get out of the house party circuit... But i also think that halifax is a big enuf market that it would eventually find an audience who would pay to hear it.....
anyway... its a cool name, and just how you'd never actually drink the Water from a real Bong, you just appreciate that it has a purpose, and leave it at that... This music would be music for Music's sake.. ... Not necessarily Dance music, but listen to and enjoy music... Music for Music's sake, and no other... A concentration of Great Music, that would be so potent you wouldnt need drugs or alcohol to enjoy listening to and/or playing it...

Ok.. I know thats a little or maybe a lot lofty, but bear in mind, this was a back deck 8 rum conversation at the time... But anyway.. while that band never got off the ground, the idea lingered, so when I had to register a company name for some of the stuff I've been working on... I stuck with it..

So I'm not gonna defend it.. Im just gonna roll with it..

More news to come soon, E.T.A. for site up and running, 2 months max....


In other news... Finally convinced my better half that a flat screen TV is a necessity for this new house!!
god love my wife, she's awesome, but when it comes to TV, Stereo, etc.... A)its just not her thing and B)it'd be like trying to explain fashion and color to me

Prime example.. the One and only time "we" let "me" pick out a color for the house, we painted the basement... and it was hard work.. and it wasn't dry before we both aggreed it looked like Sh_t and went back and bought 3 gallans of new stuff (picked out by my wife) and repainted the whole thing that very next day...

yeah... I'm that bad.. but thats cool.. I used that analogy in our "debate" and it does hold water...

So end result... She makes all decisions on color, fabric, fashion, furniture, etc.. and I'll do the TV thing on my own...


Whew!
P.S. Deep Purple are touring again.. they'll be at the Bell Centre July 28th...
Unfortunately, I wont be going.. (can't have it all) But I know it'd be worth the trip...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home