Monday, January 08, 2007

Awestruck In Newglasgow!

Trena's work had to send her to "an event" last nite... and I volunteered to go with her...

Poor Us? taking one for the team? Working hard on a Sunday nite? ---- hardly.... what a treat this was..

I would have jumped over barrels to go to this event.. Its been sold-out for a while..
And Trena got us in, with Back Stage Passes to-boot!

Now Im a fan of Newglasgow anyway... its an awesome little town, and I used to work for a firm that was based there, and have nothing but good memories of both..

And this event, just further solidified my opinion that NewGlasgow is one of Nova Scotia's Coolest Places!!



Anyway.. this event, was a benefit for the IWK. and it was totally freakin Awesome..

Now, I was excited just to See Matt Andersen, Charle A'Court, and Ron Hynes... these folks I knew of and I consider myself to be " a fan "

But the other artists on the list, i hadn't heard too much of.. but that's not to say they are'nt doing great... you see I have to admit that As much as I love music.. I really don't have my finger on the pulse, as they say.. and theres a lot I don't know...

Well, actually, you can write books.. opps, no... Albums.. with what I don't know.. I just haven't had the time to get out there, listen to new music, meet people, etc... I've been stuck in my own little bubble, as they say... but I'm getting out there, slowly but surely..

that being said, Im embarassed that I hadn't heard of all these other names before... I wasn't simply impressed with EVERY single one of the acts... I was Blown Away.. and thats not something I'd say if I didnt mean it..



At about the 2nd verse of the 1st song, I leaned over to Trena and whispered "Thank you, this is Awesome" and that about sums it up....





each artist performed at least 2, sometimes 4 songs... Mostly original material, and I hope to buy a CD from each of them before the years out (would have been right-away, but Im on a bit of a budget constraint since the new bass!!!) I can honestly say that I enjoyed every single one of them...


Back stage was also very cool.. Musicians, photographers, tech's, and some fans... and lots of good food.. But the best was the Jamming... it was every bit as good as the real show



And I just sat there, like a fly on the wall and enjoyed it..

ok..

thats a lie...


what can I say.. I love music, and Im a fan!!!!!

I bought a CD of Mat, and Charlie and had them autograph it...

I would have bought every CD there but not for the Budget.. but in time I'm sure I'll get them all...

for now.. Im still high from hearing them preform Live..



The Whole nite was also being recorded, and your ticket gets you a copy of the cd..

And for those of you who weren't there.. I highly recommend you buy one when its released in late February..

Here are some pic's..






Matt Andersen


















This Girl was Incredible.. A voice and originality that would rival Bjork!











I took a TON of pics.. I wish I had space and time to post them all. but here are some more of the highlights...














Stephen Bowers, backed up by Kevin Corbet and Jason Mingo

Check out the links (embedded in the names) to check out their music!!!


Charlie


RON HYNES!






Me And Charlie!!!


I first met Charlie just before he made it Big, but just after everyone knew he was on his way...

I was playing with Mike Cowie at the Seahorse Tavern and he got up and Jammed a tune with us...

I've bumped into him a few times since then.. the last time was at MusicStop just before he was headed off to Germany to tour with Procol Harum

anyway.. While Charlie's, by all accounts, "Made it" in the music business, and surely on to even bigger things, he always finds time to chat, and is still just as down to earth and approachable as that first day I met him some 4 years ago..

Cheers Charlie!! I wish you nothing but success man!!!


Anyway... Back to the event,

Even Trena Got up on Stage to sing a tune...





Ok, Im kidding.. she was there to say thanks on behalf of the IWK... ha ha..
But she enjoyed it just as much as I did..





Another highlight was getting to meet Ron Hynes again..

I'd first met him back in the 80's in Stephenville.

I spoke to him about my 'Rockumentary' project, and if he'd be willing to be interviewed about his experiences recording with WGB back at Clode Sound in the 70's and to talk about what he knew of the Ducat's from back in the day... And I'm pleased to report he said YES!!!


By ALL accounts, Ron is an internationaly successful Musician and Songwriter. Being able to have any input from him on this project whatsoever, will not only be a tremendous resource, but will lend the project a considerable amount of Credibility!

I hope to fly to Newfoundland to get an interview on film sometime between now and April!! Will keep you posted on any progress!!

Cheers for now..


For more info on the rockumentary project go to http://almostfamoustvconcept.blogspot.com/

I've got a new working title..

The Story of Good Old Rock and Roll (it comes with a Theme Song)
and I own the domain name www.thestoryofgoodoldrockandroll.com
along with www.bongwatermusic.com, www.bongwatermusicproductions.com, www.almostfamous.ca, www.robertcrewe.com

there's nothing there yet... but hopefully will get it up and running soon..
if you know how to build websites and can work for free.... Let me know!!!! you can design my site!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home