Saturday, January 13, 2007

Rock N Roll Roots

We had a gig tonight at a little pub in Halifax, .....

Was not our best performance, but was ok and more importantly, was good to shake the dust off, and get back in to the swing of things...

anyway.. I get home, take the gear in the house.. and think.. hey.. maybe Mike and Michelle are having people in again... (not entirely uncommon for a Friday nite)

And they were... so I went over, and had a drink.. and I got to catch up with all those guys and also my new friend, and fellow Music-Addict, Steve MacDonald...

Anyway... (geesh, i sure say anyway a lot.. need to find a different segway lol) Steve and I were talking about our shared enthusiasm for "all things music" and it reminded me of how it all got started for me... really...

I think (but am not certain) that Bon Jovi once said that Music, for him, started between his legs, and ended up in his heart (it terms of the motivation to play)

I had quit piano lessons in Elementary school... It wasn't "Cool" and when your a kid, ya just want to be "Cool"

So in junior high... I cut class one time with some "cool kids" Duane Feltham, Steve Clothier, & Gerald Blackmore (I could write a novel on our combined experiences back then with those guys that would make Porky's and American Pie look G-Rated, but thats not the point right now)

Anyway.. Duane was in a "Band" and God Damnit... I wanted in!!! they didnt need guitar, but they coudl use a keyboard player... and so it began...



It was my First Band EVER... there were a coule of tryouts.. but once we got it going, it was Me, Duane Feltham on Drums, Troy Gillam On Guitar, Art Street on Bass, and Karen Penny was our singer... And for a bunch of Junior high kids... we were too bad at all...

Duane and I remained good friends right through highschool, and after graduation.. we kind of lost touch... Duane moved witht the Military, and me to Cornerbrook, and then Halifax...

there was an email and phone call here and there.. and I was able to get to his wedding (Duane married his high school sweetheart, Donna, whom I've known since Kindergarten) but even though we never really kept in close touch, whats coolest, is when we do connect, the years melt away...

We've all grown, and changed since then.. but I still love the guy like a brother.. and that will never change.. its kind of cool actually...

Anyway (theres that word again) I was very excited to have a little reunion, after, my god, 8+years... just Xmas Holiday.. We had breakfast, caught up, reminised... (no I didnt spell-check) talked about the old days, and new days with Kids, Family and all that jazz, and it was awesome...

And It got me thinking... If not for Duane.... Would I have ever have become so "into" music at all?? With it being so much of my dads life, odds are I couldnt have avoided it for long... but who knows for certain... My brother has more talent then I do, but just lacked the interest to keep at it.. and my sister can carry a note to the store, but musicly, the only thing she can play is the stereo... lol (no disrespect intend)

So I think it was very much Duane and that junior high band that started it all.... and thank god for that... I mean, it did sincerely start as something for fun, and a really cool way to met girls.. but it certainly has evolved to one of the 2 greatest joys in my life..(the 1st being my Family). So while there have been many other contributors, positive influcences, mentors and and Motivators since.... I think I owe Duane a long over-due "thank you"

I'd share some storys about those days.. but it will have to wait... I want to... and my minds racing now after a nite of good music, and great conversations, but Im far too tired, its almost 4am, and my fingers hurt from playing bass all nite, and this typing is not to comfy as a result....

so I'll have to tell those other stories another day... or at least the censored versions perhaps... (My mom reads this sometimes lol)

G-Nite..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home