Thursday, August 17, 2006

Taking Heat for Liking Bon Jovi and Dixie Chicks!

Ok... I've been getting blasted from my Rocker Buddies, you know.. they guys who Love AC-DC, Dave Mathews, Phish, U2, and the like.. for blogging about how much I liked Bon Jovi and the Dixie Chicks...

To be clear... so no one guesses... While I really liked the concerts, that does not necessarily mean these acts have suddenly dominated my Ipod.... And no Paul, Jon Tesh can play for free and I'd rather watch a Sienfield re-run then go see that nonsense.... But I Do have to give credit where credit is due... and that is to say.. that these Concerts were nothing short of Fantastic!!

My favorite Bands have always been eclectic, to say the least...

Paully has often mocked me that the first tune I ever downloaded back in the Napster days was Jim Reeves, "Welcome to my World" and its true... But if you ever really listen to it, its a very cool cord progression.. Barry (Musseau) helped me work it out with a 2 guitar harmony phrasing that is still one of my favorite progressions to jam...

Pic: Paul Osmond and some other dude


Anyway.... Im getting off topic..

My favorite tunes/bands???
#1 would have to be the Eagles...
I like a lot of music.. but theres not a lot of bands I can listen to 1, let alone 3 albums in a row of ... and the Eagles are IT!

#2 (by a very close margin) Pink Floyd... I saw them in 87 in Nice, France (Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour, less Roger Waters) but I was 16 at the time... and while it was really awesome, I think in hindsight I was too young to truly appreciate it... I've also seen the Ausie PF show, and the Studio dudes... both were fantastic.. and we have a running agreement (Paul, John Dev, and myself) that if they every reunite with Waters.. we'd fly anywhere in NorthAmerica to see them....

I even had a chance to see Waters in Montreal, And normally I'd jump over my best buddy to see Waters, but I passed on the ticket (lower bowl to) to save the case towards my Studio Board.... (I'm really close to getting it now by the way)

Then.. theres a list of others I really REALLY like which include (in no particular order)
Van Halen, AC~DC, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Johnny Cash, Kriss Kristpoherson (for his songwritting, not for his singing) Ray Price, The Judds, Blue Rodeo, Crowded House, Matt Minglewood, Clapton, Beatles, (and Wings, etc), ELO, Traveling Wilburrys, Tom Petty, (those last few very connected via Jeff Lynn) Boston, Kansas, Styx, Boz Skaggs, Travis Tritt, Ricky Skaggs, Brad Paisly, James Blunt, John Mayer, The Gourds, Dave Mathews, U2, Sarah McLaughlan (ok I cant spell for crap), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Journey, Metalica, KISS, The Trews, Matt Mayes, SuperStack, Cowboy Junkies, Enya, White Snake, Deep Purple, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Dilbert McClinton, Parliment, James Brown, Allman Brothers, Lynrd Skynrd, KD Lang, BON JOVI, and the Dixie Chicks, Sugar Ray, and.. theres many many more.. but I only have a short break before I have to get back to work, so that will have to do for now...

But in terms of Concert Experiences... I would have say that I have a different rating system...
and its completely arbitrary.. but its just based on how much I liked it..

Now, the most FUN I ever had at a concert is tied between the Great Canadian Party in St Johns, back in geesh, 90? and the Beach Boys in Grandfalls, but that had more to do with how drunk and stupid I was, and not the show itself... But the Best Concerts? hmmm
top 5? I'd have to say
#1 Bon Jovi + Nickleback
#2 Pink Floyd (even though it was in 87, it still kicked arse)
#3 a tie between Eagles and U2... U2 had a better stage show, but Eagles.. well.. its the Eagles man.. what more do I need to say
#4 Austrailian Pink Floyd Show
#5 Dixe Chicks

and then after that theres a whole bunch of ties..
I've seen Brian Adams, Alice Cooper, Jan Arden, Sarah McLaughlan, Diana Krall, Celine Dion, Kim Mitchel, Gowan, Spoons, Matt Minglewood on big and small stages, Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea, Big Sugar, 13 Engines, Burbon Tabernacle Choir, Bare Naked Ladies, Helix, Irish Decendants, Charlie Pride, Remy Shand and more.... and I'd be hard pressed to pick a rank among them.. I enjoyed them all

Anyway... To Paully and all those out there who might poo-poo on Bon Jovi and Dixie Chicks.. Just go see the show man... You might not necessarily become a fan... But at the very least, I am 100% certain you'll have to tip your hat and say "Man, that was a great concert"

2 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Manly Helpings said...

love it....you actually took the time to read my comment!

At any rate, I'm just pullin your chain (you know that I hope) and don't take any offense. Hey, if it makes you feel any better (and me look worse), the first album (cassette) I ever bought was Madonna's - Like a Virgin...so there you have it - confessions of an ex-Madonna fan....

And I have to say, Pearl Jam in Halifax was my favourite show of ALL Time - then is was Dave Matthews, followed up by U2 in Montreal and Matthew Good in Fredericton. Oh - and the Garth Brooks in Halifax show wasn't bad either...

Cheers Rob - Viva John Tesh!

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All in Good Fun Paully!
I love the banter, and the Abuse!
It think thats just comes with part of Being a Newfie!!
Besides, being able to poke fun at yourself gives you somewhat of a lisence to poke fun of others!!

Keep it coming!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home