Friday, July 18, 2008

A day with a Rock and Roll Hero!


While he may not be as well known as Mick Jagger or even Matt Minglewood, Richard Boudreau, aka Sam Moon, has long been one of my musical hero's... And I got to sit down with him recently, to interview him about his musical travels for the Documentary Project..

I'd first met Sam, in person, a few years back at a Matt Minglewood CD Release party... I'd met him again at the ECMA's in Halifax in 2007... and again in Fredricton in 2008...

Not only did he always remember me, but he also remembers my dad, and always tells me to say hello...

During this recent visit, I had the honor of hearing Sams story from the beginning.. From singing in the choir as a kid, to his first band... then the PowerHouse Rock band that could have taken over the world "Moon Minglewood and the Universal Power, right up to today... I also got to hear a lot of the side stories and back stories and while I'd burned through almost 3 hours of tape, it seemed like 10 minutes... I could have stayed there all day and listend... The man has led an extraodinary life...

His musical resume is as impressive as any... He's shared stages with the likes of Steppenwolf, Heart, "THE BAND" and more, but is so down to earth, that he'll get up and jam with just about anyone who asks... I myself was blessed with the pleasure just a few months ago at Bearlys, (while I was sitting in with Matchstick Mike and the Chain Smoking Altar boys)... A real highlight for my own musical resume.

Anyway, theres LOADS of stuff I would love to talk about, but I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for the documentary to be finished to get all the details..

But, I will say this..... Mr. Moon is certainly one of those extremely talanted musicians that, in a perfect world, Should have made the big time... Certainly a perfect candidate for the "Almost Famous" project.. but that said, I still very much consider Sam a success. He's done and seen more then most musicians only dream of, and has also influenced far more musicians and singers then I think he realizes... Moreover, my interrpretation, is that Sam really could have made it further up the musical food chain... but likeĀ in many career paths.. there comes a point when one has to decide... How far do you really want to go, and what price are you Willing to pay for it... I believe Sam could have done anything he wanted to musically, the potential, talent and momentum certainly was there... , but I believe he simply "Chose" to come back to Nova Scotia and build a life... (my words, not Sams) And for that, I both admire and respect the man and I'm proud to call him a friend..

Anyway... like I said.. Loads more stories from this visit, but you'll just have to wait... But I believe it will be worth it... trust me!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home